Boston PIC 2019 Annual Meeting
On September 25, we were proud to gather with close to 400 cross-sector partners to celebrate the PIC’s 40th Anniversary Annual Meeting. In addition to reflecting on our collective impact this year and over our four decades, we looked ahead to the work we must do to prepare Boston students to be the workforce of the future, even as we connect adults to the jobs of today.
The event, held at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, featured Mayor Martin J. Walsh, Vertex Chairman & CEO Jeffrey M. Leiden, and new BPS Superintendent Brenda Cassellius. We also honored the 2019 PIC Achievers (pictured above) – students, educators employers, and partners who have embodied the PIC’s mission throughout the year.
Mayor Martin J. Walsh thanked employers who hired students over the summer, and spoke about the importance of internships for motivating students to do well in school and aspire to promising careers. He also expressed his excitement about working with Brenda Cassellius, our new BPS superintendent.
Vertex CEO and PIC Board Member Jeffrey M. Leiden discussed his company’s commitment to next generation of scientists through its summer internship program and the Vertex Learning Lab. He stressed the need to focus on STEM education and career awareness even before high school.
Superintendent Brenda Cassellius, interviewed by Madison Park senior D’Ahmen Holloman and Snowden senior Kathleen Alvarez, spoke about restructuring the BPS leadership team for coherence and clarity, and the importance of mental health support, among other topics.
Learn more about our 2019 PIC Achievers in this year’s program booklet.
- Ashley Cilenti, Access to Employment Supervisor, Saint Francis House
- Jenny Sherman, Career Navigator, MassHire Downtown Career Center
- D’Ahmen Holloman, Student, Madison Park HS
- Rebecca Arbit, Guidance Counselor, O’Bryant High School
- Donna C. Cupelo, Region President, Verizon; PIC Board of Directors
- Kerlyn Cherizier, Graduate, Boston Adult Technical Academy, Re-Engagement Center; Student, Roxbury Community College
- Kathleen Alvarez, Student, Muriel S. Snowden High School
- Melodie Knowlton, Director, Learning Lab, Vertex
- Annie Duong-Turner, Program Manager of Corporate Responsibility, John Hancock
- Joan Morel Peralta, Graduate, English High School; Intern, Bank of America
- Andreina Ferreira, Business Technology Pathways Teacher, English High School
- Michael P. Costello, Financial Aid Officer, Bunker Hill Community College
- Jasmine Lemus, Student, UMass Boston
- Alejandro Gomez Catano, Student, Bunker Hill Community College